Episode 21- John Huston- Polar Explorer
John Huston is a professional polar explorer and veteran of the first American unsupported expedition to the North Pole. He has completed major expeditions to the South Pole, Greenland, and to Canada’s fabled Ellesmere Island. John is also a motivational speaker, safety and logistics consultant, and wilderness guide. He regularly speaks to companies and organizations, referencing his expeditions to discuss overcoming challenges.
Whether it is navigating through a junkyard maze of sea ice rubble, skiing into the alpenglow of the midnight sun, or the camaraderie that comes with a team safely pitching a tent in a howling blizzard, he lives for moments in which effort and reward seamlessly flow together.
On this episode we discuss:
- How John fell in love with the outdoors.
- What goes into a polar expedition and how they work.
- How they plan and prepare for an expedition.
- What can go wrong during an expedition.
- The technology they use during their expedition.
- John’s mental attitude and how he stays strong while on an expedition
- The type of challenges John has faced on the ice and the lessons he’s learned.